Thursday, February 23, 2012

Quarter Mile Intervals

Yesterday I ran one of my favorite work-outs, quarter mile intervals. Coach prescribed this plan:
1) easy warm-up
2) 8x400 with 1 minute of rest between each interval
3) easy run cool down

In the past I have always done this work out with 2 to 2 1/2 minutes of rest between intervals. In retrospect I think I should have done a little more mental prep for the shorter rest interval.

We still have snow and ice on the ground so instead of running at a track I ran on the streets and an asphalt running/biking path. I set my Garmin to Auto Lap at a quarter mile.

To reach my pace goal I really had to push it. When running quarter miles on the street instead of the track I try to do these things:
1) Get-up to pace as quickly as possible
2) Look up and ahead instead of down and near
3) Lengthen my stride and increase my cadence
4) More pronounced arm pump
5) Pick out landmarks - light poles, mailboxes, street signs - for my next glance at my Garmin

My splits were nicely bunched:
1:33
1:32
1:32
1:31
1:31
1:30
1:27 (pretty happy to have my fastest time closer to the end)
1:33

My total workout distance was 7 miles.

How do you make sure to meet your pace goals when running speed/intervals?


No comments:

Post a Comment