Friday, February 10, 2012

7 Miles and 7 Reflections

Just back from a 7 mile run.

Mile 1: It is cold and windy. I turn to run with the wind while I warm up. Today was a productive day highlighted by fresh snow fall.

Mile 2: As I turn north and into the wind the sun is setting. Cars are rushing by on the road next to the Green Circle trail. I am enjoying my slower pace and the sound of the snow crunching under my shoes.

Mile 3: Wow it is windy. I keep pushing into the wind knowing the further I run into the wind the longer I will have the wind at my back.

Mile 4: At the chime of 4 miles I slow to walk to look around. I am in a neighborhood. Light is streaming from kitchen windows. Inside the occupants are warm and comfortable. I am sweating, chilled, and alive!


Mile 5: If I had a longer run planned I would want to be taking some food about now. Instead with two miles left I push away the hunger pangs and lengthen my strides. A hit of Gatorade would be nice about now, but will have to wait until I get home.


Mile 6: The sun has fully set and the moon will be rising soon. Before it does I look up at the stars. Orion is brightly lit in the sky. Regrettably Orion always makes me think of the ridiculous movie, Face Off, and the villains named Castor and Pollux.


Mile 7: The last stretch of sidewalk has not been shoveled. As I lope towards home I look down and see the puffs of snow being backlit by car headlights. I am looking at my shoe inside a moving snow globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment